Saturday, June 3, 2017

[DOTS FanFic] Sandbank of War Chapter 1


Title:Sandbank of War
Chapter 1
Author: WinterBubbleTea
Genre: Romance
Pairing: Yoo Si Jin/David Argus
Summary: The beginning of meetings and the moment of where the end would draw near to tragedy.




When I first set eyes on Yoo Si Jin he was walking the dirt road of the hastily set up base in Afghanistan. I had left my set up tent that morning in considerable irritation of spirits. My plans had gone awry. I am not accustomed to having my plans go fubar. When speaking FUBAR to those of not military knowledge it is a slang word for the shorten words of ‘fucked up beyond all recognition) for those that wanted the layman’s turn it would be awry.

Sensing my mood, my staff sergeant trailed behind me in silence. John Jameson was not silent when I first encountered him, in my first leading mission, where, in common with others of his kind, he awaited the arrival of other newbies in need of direction and guidance. I selected him from amid the throng of volunteer’s military files for black op.

Selection was based upon performance true, but also the consent of the ones picked. His appearance was trifle less villainous and harsh then other staff sergeants. I was well aware of the propensity of these fellows to bully, cheat, and otherwise take advantage of the newbie recruits under them. I on the other hand, have established my reputation as Argus the man that is not easily trifle too, unless they wanted a busted lip and a whole bunch of punishment for insubordinate.

Approaching the Korean Operatives as I label them in my mind behind him was already his own men pulling their duffle bags onto their shoulder to be led to their own accommodation. My knowledge of languages, and the means which enables me to travel abroad, had been acquired from my late father, who was army captain.

Like all army brats that move with their family, I went to bases in different countries and learned with other children of similar backgrounds. Sometimes the groups were less than five kids, but with it I learned fluent languages in certain places. Except my father was never stationed in any Asian locations such as Japan, Korea, or even that of Taiwan and thus I had never learned any of their dialects. Father preferred to work and most of the time, he didn’t have much time to teach me languages. He was devoted to the military. I found our life together quite distant, he was a great role model, but he wasn’t really a close man. As for my own mother, she wasn’t there at all, since finding being with an army man to be burdensome. Both were divorced when I was but five. I barely had any contact with her, and it seems she had no qualms on not including me in her new life and family.

Here was little else I could do but try to figure out wording of the other group. However, it seems the Koreans had taught some of these men English. Perhaps it was a requisite?

Yoo Si Jin stared at him estimating me and my own men. He stood and saluted, “Captain Yoo Si Jin.”

I found it amusing that the Koreans always stated the last name and I drew myself to my full height. “Captain David Argus.” I wink, “I assume Yoo is your last name so it should be Captain Si Jin Yoo?”

There was a glimmer of humor in the man’s eye as he noted in acknowledgement. “I had forgotten that the Western world places the last name behind.”

 I shrug my shoulder, “Well if we were being introduced in Korea.” I quirk an eyebrow, enjoying how lyrical his English sounded, even if awkward, “I would assume I would be called Captain Argus David?” I noted my man behind me, “This here is Staff Sergeant John Jameson.”

The man behind me straightens and nodded his salute and greetings. “Captain Yoo.”

Formalities were exchange and Staff Sergeant Seo Dae Young was introduced. Already I was getting use to the Eastern way of introduction. “Jameson will show your men where their tent is…” I hesitated noticing that the ride must have been exhausting for Captain Yoo. Considering, that South Korea was approximately three thousand to five thousand miles away from here it would take seventy two hours to travel by car and close to six to seven hours’ time by air flight.


 “It’s fine.” Captain Yoo said, “I thank you for your concern, I slept on the flight here.”

“Even so…I want you to be sound of mind for this Captain Yoo.” The warnings were not unselfish; they were, however, unnecessary, since the man stubbornly set his eyes on me.

“I once again thank you.” Si Jin was really a man that was down to business in appearance at least. I like that.

I grinned at how adorable the man was and nodded, “Follow me then.” I lead him to the core which wasn’t much, just a tent that was set up with unfolded tables that held a map and paperwork’s. We weren’t as high tech here, since resources is sparse.

The map of Afghanistan stood stark on the table weigh down by pins and ties. Afghanistan, a land locked country, situated in Southwestern Asia on the Iranian Plateau is surrounded by the Hindu Kush Mountains. It shares its borders with Pakistan, China, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. The country is approximately 251,827 square miles it could pretty much fit inside Texas, since the difference between the two were 16,774 square miles.  


The climate of Afghanistan is typically of arid and semiarid steppe, with dry summers and cold winters. The mountain regions of the north east are subarctic with dry and cold winters. I believe since we weren’t near the mountains we were still fortunate enough not to experience the times of winter, but in case the military had stock pile winter clothing.


Then again our army fatigues and packs were reinforced fabric that unfortunately chauffer when rub against our skin. It could be why sometimes I believe that Vaseline was a god sent to those of us when rubbing on our blisters. Most waters are from Mountain Rivers and sometimes there are river banks of sand, but water was precious here.

The targets we had been to help rescue a few people that were taken by certain groups. I noted the gentle slope of Si Jin’s nose as his single eyelid eyes took in the details and the discussion. The town we needed to go through the wall and location we needed to attack to acquire our necessary targets.

“I thought it was worth a try,” I remarked calmly as I finished directing and describing the details.

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” Captain Yoo agreed.

I studied him thoughtfully for a moment, “Our groups need practice.”

“Captain Argus, may I ask – in my professional capacity, whether or not they would have set up traps?” The Korean captain perked my attention, I felt pleased by the out of box thinking.

‘Then it would mean that we have to have someone from the other tents set up traps to test us and our alertness.” I lost the struggle and desire to want to see those eyes and angle my head.

A faint crinkle at the side of his eyes impacted my awareness that he knew I was viewing him discreetly, that there linger this feeling of attraction. Whether on my part of his I could not figure out at this moment. His attention turned away again.

As I watched, his dark lashes fluttered and lifted, disclosing eyes that I noted was not only pitch black, but layered with liquid gold and exquisite deep brown. They stared at the map in a hard glance for a time, and then fixed themselves on my face.

Captain Yoo’s expression changed; a touch of colour came to his tanned skin, and he struggle to straighten up. His pack of extras slung over his chest must be heavy, the issue of military packets was they were heavy loaded with everything one could think off and must be carried. Standard issue packs were over ninety pounds, not including weapons and knickknacks required.
 


Normally, when assessing another operation group that was provided from another country, there would be hazing and bullying. I would have done so if it were another group, but for someone like this man, I couldn’t find any desire in me to even remotely torment him with cruelty. Teasing yes, but the type of fist to hand where I pound his face in, there was a twinge in my chest over the thought of cutting those really nice cheeks.


I couldn’t help wanting to draw the man into my orbit. He was a warm sort of stone that look rigid, but inside was playfulness like a puppy.

“I will schedule it.” I said after doing my assessment, “I will now show you to your men and your bunk. Take some rest, and I will let you know what time for our practice round.”

“But of course.” Captain Yoo said he adjusted his pack and move to follow me, I wonder if it was my mistake at this time. Instead of administering the typically introduction of the other crew to them and reserve the fighting instead in the simulation. If I had done that, then I wouldn’t have fallen. I normally was fastidious in my methods, but I found myself hesitating when it came to this compact sleek man.





>> Chapter
Master List



4 comments:

  1. Aye aye captain argus is already smitten over si jin :D :D can't wait to read more... and thank u so so much for writing another fanfic with this pair, the world needs more argus/yoo si jin fanfics!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. please update the next chapter soon... i want to know what happens next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. I will be delayed on the next chapter. The plumbing for the complex I live in are going through renovation and because of that a lot of items I own needs to be shifted. I hope you can forgive me for the delay.

      Delete
    2. oh.. it's okay, no problem. just let me know when u update the next chapter okay? :)

      Delete